Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August 12th, 2011

There has been some reports (Malaysiakini and Freemalaysiatoday) which say that the Red Rally had been scrapped by the organiser Francis Siah-this has been confirmed by a repost of the same report in MOCS’ own web site. In the reports mentioned Francis is said  to finally agreed to delay his 10-point declaration to Sept 16th-actually an earlier suggestion which was not adopted at that time. So there may be only a Buka Puasa gathering if the walk or standing around rally did not materialise. But you can never know if there are Sarawakians who take ownership of the rally and refuse to let the much hyped Walk for Democracy to be chopped without them being consulted in the spirit of democracy???

MoCS calls off rally, cites public safety
Posted on August 13, 2011 by mocsarawak
MoCS will not break the law and we have decided that in the overall interests of our fellow citizens in Kuching, the Red Rally tomorrow is called off, says Siah.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

The BN/UMNO chief finally open his mouth to claim that they too are into free and fair elections and on that account they want to meet the Election Commission to work out some `formulas’ to ensure free polls. However for those who have been clamouring for electoral reform the offer appear superficial-and fall short of the RCI called by the Bersih rally and other election observation groups. If there is a will the setting up of a bi-partisan Parliament Committee on electoral reform would have identified numerous means to improve the electoral performance of the EC currently. Paying lip service on electoral reforms would end up as the boy who cry wolf once too often!

Najib: BN mahu jumpa SPR jamin pilihan raya bersih

August 12, 2011

Read Full Post »

The National Registration Department (NRD/JPN) has been blamed by the Election Commission-not the first time, for outdated web site. This causednew citizens to be displayed in its search function to still appear as permanent residents-which number over 1000, as found out by PAS. But then why is the EC not demanding the NRD to update its web site -which confuse users of the web site? If the check on citizenship cannot be made updated then it open spaces for non-citizens to be inserted as voters-which is a major fraud that will derail an election!

EC denies registering permanent residents as voters

UPDATED @ 07:47:51 PM 12-08-2011
By Clara Chooi
August 12, 2011

Read Full Post »

Press Statement: 12 August 2011

BERSIH 2.0: SPR Series of Untruths

BERSIH 2.0 is disappointed in the manner in which Elections Commission (EC) Deputy Chairperson Datuk Wira Wan Ahmad Wan Omar continues to take an approach to electoral reform that is excessively confrontational and unproductive.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

All the embassy staff are appointed as Assistant Registrars of EC which entitle them to register voters from Malaysians working overseas, and to register them as absentist voters, according to the Government’s reply to Suhakam’s report. Previously many embassy staff had been reported by MyOverseasVote group as pretending to be ignorant when approached by overseas Malaysians for registering as voters or register for absentee vote. From now on there should be no more excuse! A small victory to extend enfranchisement for all citizens!

SPR lantik pegawai Wisma Putra penolong pendaftar pemilih

August 12, 2011

 

(more…)

Read Full Post »

The police:

Kuching police all geared up for Saturday’s illegal rally

Posted on August 12, 2011, Friday

KUCHING: The police will beef up their security measures in preparation for the proposed illegal gathering of the Movement for Change Sarawak (MoCS) tomorrow.

Datuk Law Hong Soon

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Following the practice against Bersih organisers and supporters the Kuching police applied a court’s restraint order to stop 9 persons from attending the Red Rally @Walk for Democracy on Aug 13th -this Saturday and to stop them from hanging around the vicinity of the Museum where the rally were planned to take place. Not all of them are MOCS organisers-at least one of them is just a personal friend of the chief organiser Fracis Siah. Will this restraint order work -comparing to the experience on July 9th? Why the 9 were not given a chance to defend themselves ahead of the ban-which obviously restrict their human rights and civil liberty as guaranteed under the Federal Constitution?

1.Awang Abdillah Awang Nasar

2.Alphonsus Kuek,

3.YB See Chee How,

4.Dato’ Salleh Jafaruddin,

5.Datuk Bujang Ulis,

6.Dato’ Mohd Salleh Shaik Ahmed,

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.