Number of unclaimed MyKads slashed by half
June 24, 2010, Thursday(Borneo Post)
MIRI: The number of unclaimed MyKads was slashed by half after the government announced that the police will help send them to the successful applicants.Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said the government tried its best to process the applications, but the applicants must also cooperate by getting their MyKads once they are ready.
“We have processed the applications, and they should claim the cards instead of waiting for the government to send them to their doors.
“They cannot blame the government if they don’t claim their own MyKads,” he explained when met at the airport here on the way back to Kuala Lumpur yesterday.
Interestingly, there were people who claimed their MyKads only after they were forced to do so.
“Some of them only claimed their MyKads at the National Registration Department (JPN) after we announced that the police would deliver the MyKads to their homes. About half of them came forward because they did not want to see the police.
“So we do not want the people to wait for such an action before claiming their MyKads,” he said, adding that the department wanted citizens to have their own identification documents.
“We view the matter seriously as it is important have proper identity documents like birth certificates, especially in the interior of Sarawak.
“Previously the interior folks did not see the importance of owning such documents. It is not easy for us to do it because it requires all our facilities to process birth certificates.”