URGENT APPEAL : 1 July 2011
URGENT APPEAL: 1 JULY 2011
CRACKDOWN ON MALAYSIAN SOCIALISTS:
30 PSM ACTIVISTS STILL IN POLICE CUSTODY :
UNDER ABSURD SECTION 122 – WAGING WAR AGAINST THE KING
UPDATE ON THE STATUS OF THE 30 ACTIVISTS REMANDED IN PENANG
Yesterday 30 June 2011, finally after 4 days of pressure, the police finally allowed visitation rights for the family.
During this visitation the detainees informed that they were harrased and mentally tortured. Currently the detainees are being questioned intensively by officers from the Police Headquarters in KL ( Bukit Aman)
Among the shocking revelation of the tortures unleashed by the Bukit Aman team is :
- All the seven detainees in IPK are placed in solitary confinement and we learned that some others at Butterworth and Kepala Batas has since yesterday been placed under solitary confinement.
- These practice is illegal and is most commonly used during the first 60 days of ISA torture
- These detainees are also interrogated long hours between 9 till 5pm daily
Deny Legal Representatives
- In spite being a Constitutional Right – the Right to legal representation – All detainees has been denied their lawyer from meeting them except for the two juveniles in custody.
- Some of those detained have complained that they have been denied medication in spite of their health condition.
- Some detainees who need special food due to their health conditions are denied these foods and are given normal foods like other detainees.
Inhumane, Demoralisation and Foul language
- Most detainees have complained that the Bukit Aman Team has also employed degrading foul language and are called things like “pariah” and other degrading language.
- Some detainees are also forced to stand during the entire interrogation therefore torture and punishments seems to be the order of the day rather than investigation.
Denied Basic Items
- Most detainees were denied basic items such as soap and toothpaste and some were only given yesterday, despite the fact that these items were provided by families to the police on Monday to be passed to the detainees.
Denied sufficient drinking water
- Most detainees complain that water was only given during meals and not at other times
- Some Hindu detainees were also given beef to eat.
ANOTHER UPDATE :
Romeo Castillo, a comrade from Philippines who came over for a month long study trip with PSM has been detained in the airport. He has been taken into custody under the pretext of immigration problem but it is actually to investigate his link with PSM.
Currently the local and international pressure has enabled us to visit the detainees. Thank you to all comrades for all your actions. We urge you to continue your pressure, so that the police will release the 30 PSM members and Comrade Romeo Castillo as soon as possible .
What can you do?
Urgent action needed:
Please write protest letters to the government and the police to express your strongest condemnation of the arrests and the crackdown on the PSM activists. Please also demand the Malaysian government to release all the Activists to continue and respect the freedom of expression as stated in Article 10 of Federal Constitution. Please demand the Government to stop the crackdown on PSM and the absurd allegations leveled against it.
[Letterhead of your organisation]
1. Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib bin Tun Abdul Razak,
Prime Minister of Malaysia,
Prime Minister’s Office,
Main Block, Perdana Putra Building,
Federal Government Administrative Centre,
62502 Putrajaya , MALAYSIA
Tel: 603-8888 8000
Fax: 603-8888 3444
Re: Release all those detained and stop on- going crackdown on Malaysian socialists
We are writing to you, to express our outrage and our strongest condemnation over your government’s on-going crackdown and the arrest of the 30 PSM Activists and Romeo Castillo .
We are appalled by your government and the police’s latest actions and view this as an attempt by your government to intimidate Malaysian citizens from exercising their civil and political rights
We further demand that your government stops the assault on freedom of expression and release all the 30 PSM Activists and Romeo Castillo immediately.
2. Tan Sri Hasmy Agam,
Malaysian Human Rights Commission,
Level 11, Menara TH Perdana,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03 26125600
Fax: 03 26125620
3. Mr. Frank La Rue
Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: +41 22 917 9006
4.Ms. Margaret Sekaggya,
Special Rapporteur on the situation on human rights defenders,
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
5. Christine Chung,
Human Rights Officer,
Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights,
Asia Pacific Section, Asia Pacific and Middle East Branch,
Field Operation & Technical Cooperation,
OHCHR- Palais Wilson,
United Nationas Office at Geneva,
CH-1211 Geneva 10,
Tel: +41 (0) 229289673
Fax: +41 (0) 22928 9018
30 Activists from Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) including two juvenile have been charged under the Section 122 of Penal Code (waging war against the Monarch and trying to revive the communist ideology ) and are remanded for 7 days for practicing their freedom of expression. If they are charged on this section, then they will be denied bail.
The group were arrested on the 25th June at Kepala Batas, Penang while they were distributing leaflets to inform the public in their campaign Udahlah-Bersaralah (It is Enough, Time to Retire) national awareness campaign that PSM recently conducted from 24 to 26 June 2011.
The news of PSM trying to revive communism was based on common t-shirts of left leaders found in the bus carrying the PSM activists. The news that PSM trying to revive communism was the major story in all the local mainstream media and it is meant to create fear on an imaginary enemy – a tactic used commonly in the past to crackdown on activist.
Among those arrested are PSM National Deputy Chairperson M.Saraswathy and PSM Member of Parliament Dr. Jeyakumar Devaraj.
The following are the PSM activists arrested.
- 7 detained at the Penang Police Headquaters are
1. Dr, Jeyakumar – PSM’s sole Member of Parliament
2. Choo Chon Kai – PSM International Coordinator
3. Selvam (bus driver)
4. Letchumanan- PSM Sg. Siput Branch Secretary
5. M.Sarasvathy – PSM National Deputy Chairperson
6. Chong Moi
7. Soh Sook Hwa – PSM Central Committtee Member
- · The remaining are being held at Kepala Batas detention centre :
8. M.Sukumaran – PSM Central Committee Member
14. Ravindran – PSM Youth Secretary
15. Raveen Veerasenan
16. Thivya Kumar
19. Wong Mei Yong
22. Remy – Tanjung Malim Branch Chairperson
23. Saratbabu – PSM Youth Chairperson
24. Gana – Buntong Branch Chairperson
25. Sivoosamy – Bercham Branch Secretary
PSM condemns the charges by the government who is trying to implicate PSM as waging a war against the King and reviving the old Malayan Communist Party. This big blatant lie is used on the 30 PSM activists who were involved in the (It is Enough, Time to Retire)”, national awareness campaign by PSM held from te 24th -26th June 2011. The activists who were supposed to be released unconditionally have been remanded for 7 days under Penal Code Seksyen 122 that is waging a war against the King.
The statement by the police and the accusation by the current government on the PSM activists is baseless, absurd and politically motivated. Thus PSM demands the government to stop all this nonsense, release the detainees and apologise to the PSM on its baseless accusation.
PSM feels it is rather hilarious that the government tries to connect PSM with Communists just by finding a few t-shirts that have communist leader images. This t-shirts are sold very openly and anyone can buy it without any problems. Moreover the government of Malaysia has political and diplomatic ties with the Communist Party of China, Cuba, Vietnam and many other countries.
Besides that, it must be pointed out that the, the Malaysian government has signed the peace agreement with the MCP in 1989 and also senior communist leaders like Rashid Maidin, Suriani dan Abdullah CD have had a royal audience with the DYMM Sultan Azlan Shah. Thus, bringing back the communist bogeyman in post cold war era is a desperate move by the UMNO –BN regime to continue to cling in power while instilling fear among the people and to justify the use of the draconian ISA.
PSM is a registered party who is doing legal (above ground) activities and is well known and a popular party. PSM has always acknowledged the contribution of the left parties in the struggle for independence such as PKMM, API, AWAS and the MCP (PKM). These recognition of these left parties by the PSM cannot be narrowly interpreted that the party is trying to revive the MCP.
The media controlled by UMNO-BN has highlighted this accusation to scare people away from the Bersih 2 rally scheduled for July 9th. PSM supports the BERSIH2 rally, even though the Enough …Retire BN Campaign has got nothing to do with Bersih 2 rally. However police are trying to make a connection between the both so that they can stop the Bersih2 rally.
PSM is aware that the action against the PSM is a systematically planned action by the police to create an imaginary enemy with the intention to create an ”Emergency” environment where the government can justify the use of the ISA as well as do a massive crackdown to stop the Bersih 2 rally on 9th of July which is gaining momentum and mass support by the people.
The recent police action on PSM will not stop us from continuing our struggle and fight for the rights of the workers and people.
We seek solidarity locally and Internationally. PSM is currently the sole socialist mass movement in the country and we will continue this great struggle.
Long Live Socialism !
Long Live the PSM
National Secretary General
Parti Sosialis Malaysia
FOR FURTHER INFORMATIONS :
Website : www.parti-sosialis.org
Facebook : Parti Sosialis Malaysia
Twitter : @partisosialis or #udahlah
News portal :