Many people hold believes about the Bersih rally which may not be entirely accurate: here are some:
1. Bersih rally will be focus on July 9th-after that nobody want to know about it anymore.
Not true: the struggle for free and fair elections go on till the objectives are reached.
2. Bersih is now given support by the King -let’s be the King’s supporters and charge others like Perkasa and UMNO Youth as not respecting the King.
Not true: the King could act on advice from the PM, as he is Constitutionally set out to do. While symbolically the King’s intervention allow some breathing space for Bersih from the police’s and the UMNO Youth’s attacks the ultimate power come from the people’s support. Without the people behind Bersih or any other social movement it cannot survive much longer; Think of the good-cop bad cop drama; Before Bersih’s delegation went to see the King this afternoon there are reports that Najib went in to given advice to the King-and indeed he was absent from some official functions at that time;
3. Bersih’s rally in a stadium take the sting out of the movement;
Not true necessarily! It depends on the people’s support. If 100 000 + people turn up the rally can still be successful and help bring back the Bersih’s message to the kampungs in 4 corners of the country; You can’t march at the indoor rally? No one can stop you to march to the stadium with all your friends!
4. Without the 30 detainees released the compromise of going to the stadium is going no where-the PM may not make any concessions on the election administration;
Not true: If the 30 are released it would be good news. If they are not released more people will get angry and come out to fight the repressive government. So: it all depend on the people’s support! Many detainees in repressive countries become symbols of support for the democratic movement around the country.
5. The PM may just allow rally in a stadium without any concession on free and fair elections;
Not true: The campaign for free and fair elections will need to go on to see results; if after so much hoo huh about the unfree and unfair elections and the BN do not respond at all the people will develop a bad impression of BN-which can cause a disaster for BN at the poll! It all depend on the people’s commitment and persistence!