Kuching police all geared up for Saturday’s illegal rally
Posted on August 12, 2011, Friday
KUCHING: The police will beef up their security measures in preparation for the proposed illegal gathering of the Movement for Change Sarawak (MoCS) tomorrow.
Deputy Police Commissioner SAC Datuk Law Hong Soon said they would not hesitate to take action and arrest those found instigating and spreading malicious information to the public.
“We are preparing for this and the consequences,” he told reporters here yesterday after witnessing a mock exercise called ‘Ops Padam’ conducted by GOF personnel at their headquarters here. The operation was designed to counter the illegal gathering.
The exercise was a combination of Temudok Camp Public Order Riot Unit (PORU) and Sekama Police Station Light Strike Force (LSF). A GOF unit played the part of mock protesters.
Law said that assistance from other police battalions might be needed “but for the moment we have sufficient strength”. LSF has 47 units and PORU (6) from 18 battalions throughout the state.
On the training, Law said he was satisfied with the performance shown by the GOF personnel and that the training had met the standard procedure based on the Public Order
“This is part and parcel of our in-service training and everything is in order,” he said, adding that about 60 police personnel took part in the training yesterday.
The Organiser of Red Rally:
Planned MoCS rally this Saturday on
Posted on August 12, 2011, Friday
KUCHING: Movement of Change Sarawak’s (MoCS) rally tomorrow (Aug 13) will proceed as planned despite failure to obtain a police permit because only three members will take to the street.
“As three persons do not constitute an illegal assembly – only myself, MoCS steering committee member Baharuddin Mokhsen and MoCS Jepak coordinator Awang Abdillah Nasar – will be at the Museum Garden here at 2pm to demonstrate,” said MoCS leader Francis Paul Siah.
Siah said failure to obtain a police permit after two attempts would not stop their original intention.
“Our original plan this Saturday will go on. We have declared many times that we are a responsible organisation and all our activities are within the confines of the law.
“We will lay wreath at the Cenotaph to honour fallen heroes who fought for Sarawak’s liberty and freedom, say prayers and unveil the 10-point declaration of MoCS for political reforms in Sarawak,” he added.
Siah said the 10-point declaration was a very important document as it was also a blueprint for MoCS agenda for change in the state.
“We have also asked various religious organisations in the state to conduct simultaneous prayers at 5pm on the same day and we will hold a ‘buka puasa’ at Didi Restaurant at Jalan Kulas in Satok,” said Siah, who also encouraged non-Muslims to join the event (breaking of fast)
On a related matter, Siah explained that he had contacted friends and supporters from outside Kuching to cancel their trip to Kuching for the (rally) event.
“So far, 180 from Sri Aman, 60 from Miri, 12 from Sibu, six from Kota Kinabalu and two representatives from BERSIH in Kuala Lumpur have confirmed their participation. We have even booked hotel rooms for them. However, I wish to state here that we do not coerce people to attend the ‘Red Rally’,” he said.
When asked if they would still come, Siah said: “I cannot stop them from coming as there will only be the three of us. The police should not waste public money by going there (Museum Garden) and deploy the Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) and their water cannons”.
Siah held a press conference at Kuching International Airport here at 2.45pm yesterday to supposedly welcome MoCS advisor Dato Salleh Jafaruddin, who however did not show upon Siah’s advice to cancel the trip.