Proham declines EC’s invite to observe polls
9:45PM Jul 19, 2012 | 3
international observers 180712Human rights group Proham delivers another slap in the face of EC – it says it is unable to do grassroots monitoring.
Some of the 20 conditions imposed on accredited election observers by the EC/SPR are:
1. can’t take picture of frauds without permission by KTM/presiding officer;
2. can’t speak to anyone in the polling center;
3. can’t leave the polling center observer is assigned to;
4. can’t observe the counting process;
5.can’t enter the polling station-can only observe through the window;
6.can’t get accreditation cards except from Putrajaya;
7.can’t speak to media about frauds/irregularities observed;
8.can’t enter the nomination deliberation room/hall;
9.can’t observe anything that the EC /SPR say is outside its `power’ eg criminal issues will be considered police matters;media issue considered issue of Minister of Information; corruption matters of MACC;
10. can’t refer to international standards for observation reports eg disallowing observers is no problem under Malaysian laws;
There are another 10 more restrictions.